Thursday, April 19, 2018

Travel makeup kit

I often travel for business, so having a complete, compact makeup kit is important. Even as a tourist, I like to maintain a minimum of a semblance of being put together. The challenge is to do that with a minimum of volume and weight.

This is it, at the moment. This is good for about two weeks, if I use my foundation every day.


It includes:
  • Day moisturizer with SPF 50PR+++ for good measure 
  • Eye cream 
  • Foundation 
  • Loose powder, concealer, cream shadow and highlighter 
  • Peach blush, pink blush 
  • Mascara 
  • Brow powder 
  • Eyelash curler (the purple device, special travel version) 
  • Blush brush 
  • Lipstick, one in pink tones, one in red/nude tones 
  • Lipbalm and lipgloss permanently reside in my purse and so are not pictured. 
Aside from my travel eyelash curler and a number of small tubes of foundation, there are more items that I save for when I travel.

One is the loose powder/concealer and more set. The whole things gets screwed one on top of the other, to form a single, compact cylinder.



I also like lipstick palettes. It's like bringing multiple lipsticks in one. This one is in pink tones, good for summer. The retractable lip brush is stored in the top, which also comes with a built-in mirror.





Speaking of retractable, love my blush brush in a tube. The gold sleeves comes out to gather the bristles, then one can put the cap on and push everything in.







For summer travel, I replace the liquid foundation with a tube of green BB cream (the kind that hides redness). It is light, but can be built up. It is still good to set it with loose powder so I always bring that. And I skip the mascara, unless I expect to have to dress up for a formal occasion. I curl my lashes and fill my brows to give the illusion of having done my eyes.

For light travel or shorter term, I might do without eye cream and I bring only one shade of blush and one shade of lipstick (and coordinate with the clothes I bring accordingly). I usually end up bringing the pink blush and nude lipstick. I really like brow powder, but if I want to save space, I can go with a brow pencil.

Some further travel makeup tips, good also for a long day at the office or at home:
  • lipbalm can be used to wipe makeup smudges around the eyes. Pat on the smudge and wipe gently with tissue paper. 
  • body lotion doubles perfectly as makeup remover. But it can't be used for mascara removal (another reason to skip the mascara when traveling light). I use body lotion as makeup remover even when I am at home, as a cost saving measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment